National Adoption Day
Every November, National Adoption Day is celebrated across the nation to finalize thousands of adoptions and raise awareness about foster children who are currently waiting for a loving family to call their own. This is a collective national effort that has made the dreams of thousands of children come true by working with courts, judges, attorneys, adoption professionals, child welfare agencies, advocates and families to finalize adoptions for children in foster care.
Each year, National Adoption Day events draw media attention from local outlets all over the country, and a national press event attracts nationwide media coverage. CCAI works with the National Adoption Day Coalition to engage Members of Congress, the White House, Governors, Mayors and other elected officials in this effort. National Adoption Day is a great way for Members of Congress to highlight this issue, as well as garner positive media attention.
- Issue a Proclamation or co-sponsor a Resolution in support of National Adoption Day.
- Give a floor speech in the weeks preceding National Adoption Day to urge your colleagues to take action on behalf of children in foster care. Review this link for an example.
- Attend a National Adoption Day event in your state or district. Events are held throughout the month of November.
- Send a letter of commendation or a congressional citation to be read at the National Adoption Day events taking place in your home state or district.
- Write an Op-Ed or issue a Press Release to raise awareness about adoption and encourage your constituents to get involved. See link for example.
- Make a TV or radio media appearance to discuss National Adoption Day and the power of adoption.
- Use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or a blog to show support for National Adoption Day and share messages about adoption.
- Follow CCAI on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and be sure to tag CCAI! #natadoptionday #nationaladoptionday
- Send examples of your Office’s participation to CCAI and we will highlight it on the National Adoption Day website and through social media platforms.
For more information on how to engage on National Adoption Day contact Allison Coble at firstname.lastname@example.org.